Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mommy Lioness

Yesterday, our family of four went to a fast food restaurant just down the road for lunch.

We decided after we ate that we would let our boy play in the play place adjacent to the restaurant since socializing with kids his own age is a rarity for him....

See, Cohen's life has been pretty interesting and ironic up until now....

 He just turned 3 and has never really had steady friends. As many of you know, we've moved around quite a bit (Hopefully, this next move in a couple weeks will be our last for A LONG TIME!). It was difficult for us to really connect with couples our age during our time as houseparents, and the sporadic times we have lived with my parents, they live out in the country with no "neighbor" children.  He's been attending his class at church on Sundays semi-regularly, although we've kinda been hit and miss since the birth of his sister. He stays with us all the time throughout the week.

With all that seemingly against him, Cohen surprises us everyday with his remarkably social interactions. He has no problem treating adults and children whom he's just met like old friends. He's an encourager and just an all around sweet kid. Other than having to explain to him on a few separate occasions that it's really not funny to knock down someone else's Lego creation, he does a fabulous job with people of all ages.

... Well... back to the play place...

Ryan was sitting in the restaurant with Ella while I went into the play place to watch Cohen. I kept a careful eye on him because he was the next to smallest kid in there and definitely one of the youngest. I watched how he talked and interacted with all the children. My heart swelled as a proud mommy's does watching him be his charming, adorable self.

Then, from out of nowhere, I heard it.

I heard a little obnoxious voice say to MY SON....... "You have a really big head."

TIME OUT! Now, let me say this. We have lovingly and sweetly made fun of that child's head since the day he was born. It is quite big, and there is validity to the statement. It was, in fact, a correct observation.

However, for some strange reason, I did not like it that this BRAT (my thought at the time), this stranger, was the first one to ever make that statement directly to him .... my blood was boiling.

Literally, I had a flash vision of a lioness springing in to action to protect her cub. Every natural, animal instinct that lived deep inside of my being bubbled to the surface. Fortunately, I was able to quickly remind myself that I was a human being and resumed my careful watch.

Then, something happened.....

My son reminded me of Jesus.

Now, I don't believe for a second that Cohen comprehended the comment, which means it didn't bother him for a second.  As best I could tell from where I was standing, Cohen silently ignored the comment and stayed right where he was. Eventually, the little boy (slowly losing his "brat' title) said to Cohen, "We're playing super heroes!!" Cohen said with a shrug, "I'm not a super hero. I'm just Cohen."

Quickly yet politely, Cohen ran off, finding another couple of new friends to spend his precious play time moments with and then proceeded a few moments later, without fail, to give his emotionally exhausted mommy quite a fit when told it was time to go.

Now, I would be lying if I said that the comment no longer bothered me afterwards. After all, it was the first time that I had felt that deep-seeded pain for my child, and the thought that it was only going to get worse as he got older and was exposed to more children gave me a little anxiety for the rest of the day.

My dad and I spent a few moments watching a scene from Steve Martin's movie, "Roxanne" where he comes up with 20 "better" jokes to tell about his own big nose. My husband and I figured of those 20, there were a few that could apply to Cohen's head, and 1 or 2 of those were clean enough for him to repeat. :)

My husband was encouraging by stating that Cohen could simply use the old "big heads equal exceptional intelligence" line and by reminding me that when he's in high school and is over 6 feet, it wouldn't be an issue anymore.

However, all that, though helpful, is kinda beside the point. For whatever reason, although my husband and I were both painfully shy as kids and pretty easy targets for bullying, God has given Cohen these amazing gifts of boldness, encouragement, and joy, and it is our job as parents to praise and nurture that as much as we possibly can.

.... I think he's going to be okay. :)




My little lion cubs..

"Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” --- Jesus

Mark 10:15

1 comment:

  1. I am right there with you as a mommy lioness :) You have beautiful kids!

    ReplyDelete